On our recent visit to New York, my friend Amy gave me this succulent paper craft kit from Paper Source. I love anything to do with succulents; so this DIY kit was right up my street! I also wanted to see whether I could recreate something that vaguely resembled the design on the packet.
Below is a step by step of how I put the wreath together. The great thing is you could recreate the wreath without the kit by using the same techniques and cutting the flower shapes out of coloured paper.
The kit consisted of:
- 1 Cardboard Wreath
- 1 Short Length of Ribbon
- 4 sets of 10 small succulent shapes
- 3 sets of 10 medium succulent shapes
- 3 sets of 10 Large succulent shapes
- 26 different shaped leaves
- 3 sets of 10 flatter shaped succulents
- Double sided tape
- Adhesive foam squares
1. Cut each of the succulent shapes out. Then using a knife, curl the edges of each of the petals (like curling a ribbon on a present). For the flowers/succulents I curled each of the petals the same way, then for the leaves I alternated the curling to generate a more natural effect.
2. Combine the curled petals; layering the smaller succulent layers into the larger ones. Alternate the colours, then place a foam square under the top layer and second to last layers. Fix the other layers with double sided tape.
3. Once all the succulents are compiled, you can start the wreath by laying the leaves on first.
4. Then add your succulents.
I loved making something different for our Christmas wreath this year and also doing something that took me away from my computer, which was a great way to relax too.
If you don’t fancy recreating the wreath here’s a succulent wreath kit you can buy in the UK.
Have you done any Christmas DIY’s this season?