The other day a friend asked me if there was anything I would have changed about our wedding day. My initial answer was no; at the end of the day whatever happens, it will always seem perfect because it’s the day you marry the person you love. Everything else is just a bonus surrounding that moment.
The question did get me thinking though; I would have loved someone to have given me some helpful advice while I was stressing about seating plans and minor details. So I thought I would share what I learnt from our wedding planning experience. I’m by no means an expert, but I hope these help anyone who’s stressing about planning at the moment!
- Start with the big things– As soon as I got engaged I was straight on Pinterest making board after board of DIY projects and cute table settings; which is great but remember these aren’t the priority at the start. Take some time to sit down with your fiancé and decide on what type of wedding you guys want, what venue, budget and the general feeling you want to create for the day. It’s very easy to be led by family, which is great but remember it’s about you two. Big things first, small details later.
- It’s ok to ask for help– In my case I wanted to do everything, from making the invites, to decorating the venue myself the day before. Remember you’re not super-human, there are people around you who 1. want to help and 2. are just as capable (and maybe a little less stressed) to do some of the work for you.
- Something won’t be perfect– It’s inevitable that something won’t happen completely the way you want it to, either in the run up or on the day itself. Remember to take a step back and think about the essentials, you have all your family and friends around you and nothing is unsolvable.
- Take a moment to yourselves on the day– Everything happens so fast; you spend a year planning 24 hours and it will go by in a heartbeat. Untraditionally Steve and I drove ourselves from the church to the venue straight after the ceremony, we were the first to arrive, which was such a special and private time.
- Give your wedding party tasks for the day- You’ve chosen your wedding party because they’re your closest friends and they will be more than happy to take away any stress from you on the day. It means you get to enjoy it without having to worry about things like giving the band the cheque at the end of the night.
I hope these little bits of advice have been useful, like I said I’m definitely not an expert but these are the bits I learnt from our wedding day. If you’re planning your wedding at the moment, congratulations and don’t worry it will be the best day!