Happy New Year everyone!
This post has taken me a while to write; it started up as a round-up of 2017, but after realising that I’d shared most of the good bits with you guys already, I thought I’d go for a different angle for the first post of the year! I learnt a great deal about myself in 2017, it was my first full year of being self-employed and through a lot of trial and error; I feel like I’ve started to figure out where I want to be in 2018.
Things I’ve learnt-
- Don’t spread yourself too thin I’m notoriously bad at saying no to anything! There have been multiple times over the last year that I’ve managed to overwhelm myself by committing to anything and everything, when I should have been taking time to prioritise what I actually needed to do.
- Find direction I’ve learnt I need to spend time coming up with a plan and work out the direction I’m heading in. Last year I spent way too much time plowing ahead without a clear direction or goal, which made me feel pretty lost at points.
- Stop comparing yourself At times when I felt uninspired I’d scroll through social media and become completely intimidated about how ‘together’ everyone looks on their feeds. It’s a good thing to remember how curated social channels are. Just because someone is posting a photo ‘living their best life’ or appear to have it all together, it doesn’t mean that they necessarily do.
Things I’m Taking into 2018-
- A Schedule Setting clear working and non-working hours is something I’m definitely taking into 2018. With Steve and I doing the same type of work and sometimes from home, we fall into the trap of working until we go to bed, which is definitely going to change this year.
- Fitness That old New Year cliché of getting fitter in January is something you hear everywhere at this time of year. My goal is to incorporate some form of fitness three times a week, this is on top of walking the dogs etc. The biggest reason for this more than anything is to reduce my time in front of a screen too!
- Positivity This is one of the main things I learnt in 2017, nothing has come my way when I’ve sat at home feeling sorry for myself. Getting up and out with a positive attitude has brought me so many more opportunities.
Things I’m proud of-
- One Year Self Employed Though I’m now begrudgingly doing my tax return I’ve actually managed to survive one year of self-employment, I know this is a small feat for some, but it’s a nice reminder that I’ve managed to keep everything going this year!
- Growing in Confidence This isn’t actually something I was aware of until my brother said it to me the other day. I went from being very comfortable in a job I’d been in for six years, to meeting more new people in a week than I would normally meet in a two month period. Sometimes throwing yourself in at the deep end is the best way to grow; I’ve also realised that most people you come into contact with are usually in the same position as you too.
- Commitment 2017 taught me you have to be 100% committed in what you’re doing, because if you don’t believe in what you’re doing, how do you expect anyone else to believe in you either? Vlogtober helped me realise this too; I committed and completed thirty days of consecutive videos!
This post is also a thank you to everyone who’s followed along with my journey in 2017. I love how the community has grown and though there’s talk of algorithms changing up how much people see, the one thing I value more than anything is everyone who sends messages and interacts with my posts. Regardless of a computer deciding who can or cannot see my posts, I’m so grateful for everyone taking the time to comment or say just say hi. It’s amazing to think how many people are connected by these different networks and to imagine that many people in a room blows my mind every time I think about it.
What made you proud of yourself in 2017? Was there a moment where you surprised yourself? I’d love to know!